Choosing a treadmill that will help you achieve your goals can be overwhelming. There are so many different models, features, and brands to choose from!
To make it easier for beginners, we've put together this list of things to consider when buying a treadmill. We hope that you find the information below valuable and helpful in making an informed decision about which model is best for you.
A Beginner's Guide to Buying a Treadmill: A Comprehensive and Thorough List of Things to Consider
- features: When you are buying a treadmill, first make sure that the model offers the features you want. If it doesn't have what you need in a machine, then don't buy it! There is no point in spending money on something if it won't help your fitness goals.
- warranties: Treadmills come with different warranties: some are lifetime warranties and some will only last for a few months. If the treadmill is going to be used heavily, it might need servicing more often than a model with fewer moving parts or an extended warranty period.
- space: Consider how much space you have at home. Many people buy treadmills that take up too much room in their homes. If you have a small home, it is better to buy a model that folds up and doesn't take up as much space.
- users: If the treadmill will be used by more than one person or if there are children in your household who might use it, make sure that the machine has safety features like an emergency stop button on/near the console or a safety key.
- budget: A good rule of thumb for deciding on a budget: try to buy something that will last around five years without needing repairs...
- incline setting: an incline setting will be important if you plan to use your treadmill mostly for fitness or weight loss.-This helps increase the physical demands on your body by raising the front of the deck and therefore increasing resistance when it's time to walk or run uphill.
- good cushioning: cushioning is another super important feature to look for.-A good cushioned surface helps you avoid injuries on impact
- cords of safety: as with any piece of exercise equipment, look for one that comes with safety cords. This will help you to avoid accidents like tripping over the cords and falling off.
Another way to prevent accidents is by making sure that you purchase a treadmill with an emergency stop button located in an easy-to-reach location.
1. What is your budget for a treadmill?
The average cost for a treadmill is $1500 to $3000. The most expensive type of treadmills is motorized while the cheapest ones can be manual or require you to use your hands and feet at the same time.
If you're on a budget, then keep in mind that one advantage of cheaper models is they may have fewer features than more expensive ones but will still provide quality exercise if this doesn't concern you much. Lastly, some people find good deals off brands like NordicTrack because it's been around since 1980 and has experience with making treadmills as well so check out their website often!
Budget: *$1500-$3000* (average) - Most expensive motorized; Cheapest manual or requires
hands/feet (Most may have fewer features than more expensive models)
2. How often will you use it?
How often will I use my new machine? - If you're planning to only workout under three times per week, most of these machines should work well enough as long as they require little effort from yourself such as running slow at a set pace. If you plan on using your machine daily and have the money to do so, then a motorized one is best because they offer more features such as inbuilt entertainment screens or fitness apps.
3. Where will you put it?
Do you have a spare room that can hold it? - If not, then where will the treadmill live in your house and how much space do you need for storage when it's not being used.
For example, if there are high ceilings with lots of floor space (similar in size as an average living room), then a manual or the motorized machine might suit best because they take up less height so that you could comfortably walk beneath them without having your head hit something. Whereas if the ceiling is low, then you might want to buy a machine that is low profile and doesn't take up as much space.
-A good idea would be to measure out what area is available before deciding which one to buy!
4. Do you want to watch TV or do you prefer music?
If you want to watch TV while working out, then the best option for this is an elliptical machine because it will allow you to keep your eyes on a screen without getting off of the equipment. However, if listening to music is more important than watching TV or other entertainment options, then go with a treadmill as they are able to provide audio output and can be used independently from programs like Netflix or Hulu. All in all, what matters most when choosing between these two machines is a personal preference!
5. Will this be used as a home gym?
A home gym is a great option for those who want to have the convenience of working out in their own space.
If you are looking at this as an accessory when it comes down to a matter of how much floor space you have and what your personal preference is. For instance, if both options work well with your budget and fitness goals, then choosing between them would come down to which machine fits best into the layout of your room or house.
6. What type of surface are you putting it on (wood floors, carpet)?
This is another personal preference. You may want to make your decision based on the type of surface in the area where you plan to use it most often or for maximum convenience. If you have wood floors, a carpeted machine will perform better. Conversely, if you are looking for something that can be used outdoors as well as indoors (and many treadmills come with this option) then an outdoor-safe model would work best.
If there isn't much floor space available and performance doesn't matter as much, then a foldable treadmill might be right up your alley! These little guys take up about half the space of a traditional one and they're easy to store away when not needed.
Remembering these factors will help you find a high-quality fitness product for purchase that will last many years. It will also help you achieve your fitness goals.